localnews.ie
local summary

At the Central Criminal Court, a detective told jurors that Nigel Canavan appeared nervous and evasive when questioned hours after his mother's death in Sligo on May 1, 2023. Detective Garda James Conneely met the 39-year-old accused outside Angela Canavan's home on St John's Terrace and later conducted a voluntary interview at Sligo Garda Station. Mr Canavan, with an address in Crossmolina, Co Mayo, denies murder. The prosecution alleges fatal violence and manual strangulation caused Ms Canavan's death. In his recorded statement, Mr Canavan described hearing three loud bangs while upstairs and finding his mother on the ground surrounded by broken glass and a damaged chair. He told gardai he had been staying with his mother during a bank holiday weekend after recent separation from his wife. The trial, before Mr Justice Kerida Naidoo and a jury, continues tomorrow.

Source: Courts News Ireland This page is a localnews.ie summary and index entry; the full original report may require a publisher subscription.
Browse court reports More from Sligo